What is a SIP trunk?
SIP (or Session Initiation Protocol) – also known as SIP trunking – is our market-leading and cost-effective replacement for traditional ISDN. It connects your customers’ PBX to the PSTN via broadband, Ethernet or private circuit into our national network. Our SIP trunks work seamlessly with each of the leading IP PBX brands in the UK market.
Which customers is SIP suitable for?
Any business with a PBX can switch to our SIP trunking service and immediately benefit from a more flexible, less expensive and more resilient phone service. Try our SIP v ISDN cost calculator right now and see for yourself. For customers that don’t have a PBX, consider our Hosted Horizon phone.
How resilient is SIP?
SIP trunking is now a mature service enjoyed by thousands of UK organisations and this alone is testimony to the reliability of SIP. For added reassurance while your customers switch to us, SIP trunks can even be used with existing ISDN connections to ensure the transition goes smoothly.
Owning our own national network means we can identify and fix issues faster, through our advanced monitoring and diagnostic tools. It’s the reliability of our service that’s helped us win many major UK fixed line network awards in recent years and one of the reasons more and more businesses are choosing JabbaTalk SIP Trunks.
How does SIP compare to ISDN?
|Savings||Saves up to 50% on line rentals and 25% on calls||Expensive|
|Flexibility||You’re in control. Add lines, take them away, split calls – it’s up to you||Sorry, can’t do flexible|
|Control||Choose how and where you want calls delivered. Make changes instantly||Changes take months. At the mercy of suppliers|
|Future||Well mapped out and ready for Voice/Data convergence||Going nowhere fast|
|Contingency||Handles emergencies with ease. Reroute calls to backup sites in seconds||Hope nothing bad happens|
Is SIP secure?
Absolutely! A properly configured and managed SIP service will give you the service assurance you are looking for:
- We only employ IP authentication.
- We can build private layer 2 VLANS to customer devices that support RFC 1918 addressing. On this basis the endpoints cannot be seen from the public Internet.
- Traffic patterns on the Session Border Controller (SBC) are monitored for anomalous behaviour and appropriate alerts deployed
- Rate and channel restrictions are place on all endpoints to ensure that the SBC cannot be overloaded.
- All SBC’s are deployed in fully secure premises
- JabbaTalk’s Gamma connectivity is fully compliant with the Information Security Standard ISO27001 and the Business Continuity standard ISO22301
- SIP trunking SBCs and Portal are penetration tested by professional 3rd party consultants to offer assurance that the security is fully effective
In addition, our free fraud protection service limits exposure to fraudulent activity from endpoints that have fallen victim to hacking or excessive unauthorised call spends.
This free fraud protection service gives you:
- Pre-set individual call limits against specific endpoints or users
- Automatic call barring where thresholds are breached
- Exclusive access through the Gamma Portal so that you have direct control, without requiring input from JabbaTalk
- Peace of mind that you will not be responsible for any fraudulent over-spend above the configured threshold limit
How does JabbaTalk ensure quality?
From the moment we connect their SIP trunking service, your customer will enjoy all the reliability, resilience and quality that comes from being one of the UK’s largest providers of voice services and voice applications.
Quality is assured through:
- Proactive monitoring and management of quality of service functions across our entire network including, but not limited to, Post Dial Delay (PDD), Answer to Seize Ratio (ASR), Network Efficiency Ratio (NER), Mean Opinion Score (MOS), Perceptual Analysis of Speech Quality (PESQ) Score, Call Closure and Error codes for C7 and SIP signalling, Jitter, Latency, Packet Loss, Trunk and Circuit occupancy, uptime and trends
- Proactive call testing and analysis for all platforms and services
- Appropriate and timely alerts of potential issues and ‘hot spots’ to our 24×7 Network Operations Centre
- Review of external and internal reports including customer feedback via support desks
- Strict Change Control and Release Management process aligned with our suppliers and carrier partners to prevent related quality or service issues
- Oversight through a monthly Quality Steering Group meeting chaired by our CEO that includes input / output from our regular Platform Service Reviews, Capacity Management, Information Security and Business Continuity forums
Some of the PBX vendors we work with
Solving business issues
Here are just some of the current business issues end customers are facing that Gamma SIP Trunks can help address:
If your customer’s office has to be temporarily relocated in an emergency, this can quickly and cost-effectively be achieved with Gamma SIP Trunks. Providing your customers with the additional business continuity benefits that come as standard with our SIP service helps to create stickier relationships and increase retention.
For businesses with multiple sites, SIP trunking provides ISDN line rationalisation options and reduces the number of PBXs that require maintaining – all with full control over the numbers associated with your customer’s business.
SIP for seasonality
Gamma SIP Trunks are valuable for businesses with seasonal voice capacity requirements where more lines need to be quickly and easily implemented with no long-term commitments, for example when running sales campaigns or during expected busy periods like major sports or entertainment events.
Unlike ISDN, SIP trunks are a highly cost-effective system that can be scaled up and down according to the requirement enabling more effective use of IT team resources by making the provisioning of new users with voice and data systems quick and easy.
The perfect solution for businesses that are starting up, growing or in fixed-term leases; our SIP trunks enable seamless routing of geographic and non-geographic numbers, to any location. This allows your customers to move office and keep their same geographic number without incurring any ongoing call-forwarding costs or costs associated with producing new company stationery, adverts or directory listings.
Voice and internet convergence
With JabbaTalk SIP Trunks delivered over Gamma Broadband or Gamma Ethernet, you can have a high-quality voice and data service all over one connection, giving you significant cost savings.
SIP Trunk Call Manager
Enable your customers to manage their entire inbound number estate through their SIP trunks
SIP Trunk Call Manager provides all the features and benefits of JabbaTalk SIP Trunks together with centralised call control. This includes our market-leading call bundles and the only fraud management tool that protects you and your customers by enabling them to set spend limits. SIP Trunk Call Manager offers a powerful business continuity solution, giving your customers the ability to manage their number estate and all aspects of their inbound calls.
JabbaTalk SIP Trunks with Skype for Business
JabbaTalk SIP Trunks are integration-tested and qualified by Microsoft to interoperate with Skype for Business (previously Microsoft® Lync). This enables direct connection of SIP trunks to Skype for Business for external calls from the platform, providing a seamless experience and making it an ideal solution for any organisation that’s looking at implementing Skype for Business or already uses it.
SIP Trunking for cloud platforms
Connect your cloud platform to the UK Telephony Network (PSTN) with one of the UK’s largest voice infrastructure providers
SIP in the Education sector (Janet network)
We’re a Janet-connected partner with a direct, geographically diverse interconnect to provide JabbaTalk SIP Trunks to the Janet community. Janet is the network dedicated to the needs of research and education in the UK, connecting the UK’s research and education institutions to each other, as well as to the rest of the world.
It really couldn’t be simpler, so call us today to understand how your business could start benefiting from these products.